Ledyard Center, at the juncture of two state highways, routes 117 and 214, is one of Ledyard's few commercial districts and the location of its Town Hall.
But this busy thoroughfare is so much more. It is the symbolic heart of Ledyard; created by an act of the state legislature in 1836 after breaking off from Groton. The town is named for Colonel William Ledyard, a commander of colonial forces who was slain in the Battle of Groton Heights in 1781.
After passing a mostly residential area on Route 117, Ledyard Center introduces itself to visitors once they set eyes on Bill Library and the Congregational Church atop a hill at the corner of Colonel Ledyard Highway.
Day reporter, Julianne Hanckel, does a great job of describing Ledyard Center.